Tuesday 29 November 2011

Training on a Gluten Free Diet

One of the concerns I had when I was first diagnosed with Celiac’s disease was how it would affect my exercise routine. At the time I did plenty of resistance work in the gym but very little cardio of any kind, because I was always tired and so easily winded. It turns out that I was tired because I was absorbing less than half the calories I ate and I was out of breath because I had severe anaemia. Within a week of starting on the gluten free diet both problems improved dramatically and a few months later I started running for the first time in my life.

Fast forward a couple of years and I am entering my first races and starting to take my training for these races much more seriously. In order to get the best out of any training program, whether it’s weight lifting or cycling, you need to get the right nutrition at the right times. With endurance sports getting enough carbohydrates to fuel your training is vital, as is the loading up on carbohydrates before a big race. This can be a problem for Celiacs, as traditionally the recommended carbohydrates are pasta and bread. Fortunately, the running and cycling worlds have started to recognize that there are grains besides wheat which offer more protein, vitamins and fibre, and now recommend quinoa more than pasta and sweet potatoes over bread.

So in the spirit of sharing, my favourite complex carbohydrates at lunch and dinner are: Boiled and mashed sweet potatoes, Merchant Gourmet red and white quinoa (one minute in the microwave and its ready), brown rice, long grain and wild rice mix, tinned puy lentils (usually mixed with a chilli, stir fry or curry), and Genius gluten free brown bread. Of course I also enjoy white potatoes, white or basmati rice, and pure corn nacho chips (or tortillas when I can get them), but try not to have them very often as they are not as nutritious and high in fibre as the more interesting items above.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1778.16
109.03g
209.29g
55.06g
0
26.88g
25%
47%
28%

Calories burned through exercise:
444


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pure squeezed orange juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
09:45
Workout - resistance training + 15 minute run
Lemon-Lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
11:00
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
12:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:30
Sainsbury's Vegetable Dhansak soup
240g
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
Princes Tuna chunks (in brine, drained)
66g
with Hellmann's light mayonnaise
13g
and Branston gherkin relish
10g
Irish Yoghurts Diet Apricot and Nectarine
125g
14:00
Green Tea
250mL
17:30
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
15g
Red Apple
about 100g
18:30
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
20:30
Baked chicken breast
81g
Mashed potatoes with butter and milk
160g
Steamed beets
107g
Sainsbury's Taste the Difference apple sauce
14g
Bisto Best Chicken Gravy
about 5g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment