Thursday 10 November 2011

Protein Sources

I have toyed with the idea of becoming vegetarian a couple of times over the years, not because I have ethical issues with eating meat, but for the health benefits. For example, vegetarians have half the risk of contracting Type 2 diabetes and have a 12% lower risk of getting cancer. In fact, current research suggests that we should be getting 70 to 80% of our diet from plants such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts and legumes (lentils and beans), and only 20 to 30% of our calories from animal products and processed foods. This is advice I have taken to heart and so try to integrate into my daily diet by varying my sources of protein. Of the 21 meals I’ve had in the last 7 days (breakfast, lunch and supper), 8 have been vegetarian (bean or egg based), 4 have been fish based, 6 have been poultry based (including the turkey bacon I like to have for breakfast), and only 3 have been meat based.

Unfortunately, getting enough protein to support heavy training is more difficult on a purely vegetarian diet. If you only need 15% of your calories or less from protein, you can get that quite easily from non-meat sources. However, I’m struggling to get 25% of my calories from protein on a meat inclusive diet! As well, most plant sources of protein are not complete proteins – they don’t have all 9 of the essential amino acids (the building blocks of proteins) that our bodies need, whereas most fish and animal sources do. You can get all 9 by combining foods with the different amino acids, such as pairing beans with corn, but this takes care and planning. Plant proteins also don’t usually come with the added iron, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids found in meat and fish, which are key for muscle repair and improved performance.   

However, the biggest problem I have with going vegetarian is that my diet is already restricted by being gluten free. I just don’t think I would cope very well if I went egg, dairy and meat free as well! So, a few small steps to reduce the meat in my diet without eliminating anything.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2158.70
134.41g
288.42g
58.87g
0
29.71g
24%
53%
24%

Calories burned through exercise:
434


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's orange, mango and passionfruit juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
10:00
Workout - resistance training (1 set) + 30 min Bike
Lemon-lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
11:15
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
14:45
Assorted Sushi
10 pieces
Pod Lemon and yoghurt pot
1 pot
Green Tea
200mL
15:45
Green Tea
200mL
17:30
Bounce peanut protein blast ball
49g
20:30
Cook Moroccan Spiced Lamb Tagine
300g
Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa
100g
22:00
Butterkist Microwave butter popcorn
30g popped

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment