Sunday 6 November 2011

Balancing a Gluten Free Diet

I admit that with all the high fat days I’ve had lately I’ve felt a niggle of concern for how I will balance my diet later in my training plan when I switch from endurance work to more speed sessions. If I'm having trouble keeping my daily fat percentage below 30% what will I do when I when I'm looking to keep it below 20%? Like I've said before, fat is fine to fuel long slow runs, but fast runs and races need more carbohydrates. And getting enough complex carbohydrates is a common problem for Celiacs. Of course fruits and vegetables are great sources of gluten free complex carbohydrates without the fat, but aside from corn and potatoes, I would have to eat enormous quantities to provide enough calories to support my training.

Apparently the secret is sports drinks and pizza. I knew that my Sponser sport drink had a good 50g of carbohydrates and no fat, but I was really surprised that my portion of frozen gluten free pizza had over 65g of carbohydrates but only 7.5 grams of fat. This was a surprise because many gluten free products have a lot more fat that their traditional wheat based counterparts. For example, a normal slice of wholegrain bread has about 1g of fat, whereas a slice of gluten free brown bread has 5g of fat. The added fat helps to hold the gluten free product together and make it taste better. So while my two slices of gluten free brown bread provide 30g of carbohydrate (about 55% of calories), they also have 10 grams of fat (or 41% of calories). Which is why I was pleasantly surprised by the nutritional profile of the gluten free pizza I had last night. Proof that all foods can have a place in a healthy diet!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1979.25
84.93g
277.89g
50.25g
8.0g
28.21g
17%
56%
23%
3%
Calories burned through exercise:
691


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
10:30
Black Tea
500mL
11:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
14:15
New Covent Garden Pea and Ham Soup
300g
Genius brown bread
2 slices
one slice with Sun Pat Peanut butter
14g
and Honey
7g
14:45
Green Tea
250mL
15:45
Workout - resistance training + 28 minute run
Sponser Isotonic sportdrink, fruit mix
about 58g
in water
750mL
17:30
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
19:45
DS frozen gluten free mozzarella and tomato deep pan pizza
1/2 pizza
with Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself thick cut ham slices
46g
and Dole pineapple slices in juice
46g
20:15
Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa dark chocolate
20g
Graham's Port
50mL
22:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment