Sunday 13 November 2011

Craving Carbohydrates

Had a lovely afternoon and evening with my husband yesterday. We went to the gym together about 3:00pm and it was scary to discover how many of the same exercises we had picked to go in our separate weight training routines. Afterwards we had to stop at the supermarket for milk on the way home, and ended up getting some minced pies and port (as you do), then picked-up a couple of movies as we were passing the video store. So we spent the evening cuddled up on the couch with our nacho chips, mince pies and port. It was just what I needed, but it’s a good thing we forgot to pick up some stilton cheese to go with the port and that I burned so many calories in the gym!

I have noticed that when I let myself go and just eat whatever, I drift more towards the carbohydrate rich bakery products and chips, and not towards the super sweets like bars of chocolate or high fats like cheese. Carbohydrate cravings usually indicate that a person has low levels of serotonin, one of the feel-good hormones in the brain. As I've mentioned before, serotonin levels are usually lower in the winter and women have lower levels of serotonin than men, so my craving carbs is quite natural. However, in my case I wonder if that’s more a product of the gluten free diet or my current higher fat diet. If it’s the latter, then I should feel less need for carbohydrates in a couple of months when I switch to a higher carbohydrate and lower fat diet. Of course it could just be a latent feeling of deprivation because as a celiac I can’t just walk into a bakery of McDonald’s and have a snack! And that is something all Celiacs just have to learn to live with.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2444.25
96.24g
308.13g
78.30g
16g
34.50g
16%
50%
29%
5%
Calories burned through exercise:
684


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Basted eggs
2 eggs
in butter
2g
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
with Flora Light
10g
and St Dalfour Raspberry jam
13g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
10:30
Black Tea
500mL
12:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:15
King Prawn stir fry in Oyster sauce
300g
Merchant Gourmet tinned puy lentils
100g
Princes tinned Mandarin segments in juice
155g
13:45
Green Tea
250mL
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill
15:00
Workout - resistance training + 30 minute run
Lemon-Lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
16:30
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
Sponser vanilla Recovery Shake
15g
mixed with skim milk
150mL
18:30
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
19:15
Home-made chilli
285g
Doritos Cool original nacho chips
40g
19:45
Sainsbury's Freefrom Mince Pies
1 pie
Taylor's Port
50mL
20:30
Sainsbury's Freefrom Mince Pies
1 pie
Taylor's Port
50mL
22:00
Doritos Cool original nacho chips
30g

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment