Friday 25 November 2011

Craving Sweets

Bit of a strange food day yesterday. Breakfast was fine, my mid-morning snack the usual, but then I found myself absolutely craving sweets at lunch time. I had planned on having a tuna salad sandwich but the thought of creamy fish was completely unappetizing. So I had cereal and bacon instead. Not most people’s first choice for lunch but the combination of dried fruit, cornflakes and sweetened soy milk really hit the spot. I wasn’t tracking my calories throughout the day, so I didn’t realize that I’d only had about 365 calories at lunch until after 4pm when I started to feel really tired, sleepy and cold between my appointments – all signs of low blood sugar (though I wasn’t too hungry oddly enough). Which is when I decided that hot tea with milk and sugar was the answer – that late afternoon classic, caffeine and sugar.

I have to admit that I much prefer my black tea with plenty of milk and sugar; I even put milk in flavoured black teas like Earl Grey (which my British husband considers sacrilege). However, in my quest to lose a couple of pounds and keep my calories around 1800 per day, I decided I would rather live without milk and sugar in my tea than live without cake and chocolate. Plus the first thing any diet book will tell you is to never drink your calories as they are much harder to keep track of and don’t fill you up like food calories.

I was also really craving sweets after dinner and if there had been any kind of cookie, cake or chocolate in the house it would have been gone. I thought it might be a lack of protein which is why I then had a glass of milk. But I think it had more to do with the lack of simple carbohydrates yesterday as opposed to Wednesday. One of the true dangers of sugar and white carbohydrates is that your body can so easily get used to that high, leaving you craving more. Something to watch out for!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1615.63
84.32g
193.58g
56.54g
0
29.84g
21%
48%
31%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
175g
Mushrooms
110g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
105g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:45
Black Tea
350mL
11:15
Green Grapes
100g
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
13:45
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
16:15
Black Tea
300mL
with milk
about 40mL
and sugar
2 cubes
16:30
Sainsbury's fruit and seed mix
40g
20:15
Lee's Hippy Farm Beans (from Leon's recipe book)
301g
Home-made guacamole
75g
Glass of skim milk
225mL

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment