Wednesday 16 November 2011

The Clothing Meter

I’ve found my appetite has been quite high over the last few days. It could be that after a month of working out five days a week my resting metabolic rate has gone up, so that 1800 calories a day is no longer quite enough. Great for speeding up weight loss, not so great if I find myself eating all the time! Whatever the reason, yesterday I managed to overeat at almost every snack and meal. None of my ‘extras’ were particularly high in calories, but it all adds up – 183 calories of fruit cake after lunch, 127 calories worth of Doritos with my afternoon snack, 123 calories of cheese and 129 calories of red wine after dinner - all adds up to an extra 562 calories. Which just goes to show how easy it is to get an extra 500 calories per day without really trying! Not only that but, aside from the cheese, those extra calories were all carbohydrates and alcohol, not extra protein of fat, which throws off my nutrient balance for the day.

However, I do have good news – I am making progress at fitting back into my clothes! I tried on one of my winter work dresses for an appointment yesterday afternoon, a beautifully tailored black and gold tweed which I could barely get into when I took out my winter clothes on 9 October. Not only did it fit, but there was enough room around the thighs and bum to sit and move comfortably. Since one of my main motivations for losing weight is to fit into all my old clothes again, this makes me very happy. In fact, several weight loss experts recommend the ‘clothing meter’ as a better measure of fitness and weight loss, as the scales doesn’t usually take into account percentages of muscles and body fat. Though on that note, I also appear to have lost another pound, as my morning weight yesterday was bang on 61kg before breakfast and 62 kg just before my run.

Great motivation for avoiding yesterday’s calorie pitfalls!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2233.89
114.44g
277.45g
62.10g
15.5g
31.25g
20%
50%
25%
5%
Calories burned through exercise:
550


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
175mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
10:45
Easy run, 33 minutes
11:30
Lemon-Lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
12:15
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
Sponser vanilla Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
13:45
Glorious New England Butternut Squash soup
300g
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
Princes Tuna chunks (in brine, drained)
59g
with Hellmann's light mayonnaise
13g
and Branston gherkin relish
13g
Sainsbury’s Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
14:30
Green Tea
250mL
17:00
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
Doritos Cool original nacho chips
25g
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
20:15
Sainsbury's extra lean beef escalopes
80g
Mashed potatoes
200g
Steamed carrots
130g
Frozen peas
80g
Bisto Best beef gravy
about 5g
Red Wine
150mL
Sainsbury's creamy blue stilton
30g

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment