Tuesday 22 November 2011

Tracking Fibre

I was feeling much better yesterday though I was still careful to rest my back and not overdo. I did start my day with a bath to loosen up the tight muscles, but I was then able to sit at my desk and type, though I only did so for an hour at a time. I was careful to make sure my back was always supported when sitting, but I still took an hour after lunch to lay down with my neck supported and my knees propped up. However, despite this I was able to get back to a more normal routine which in turn made it easier to eat well. I’m really happy I managed to stay away from the cake and chocolate, which kept the calorie count down, and got a good five portions of fruit and veg, which helped to keep the fibre count high.

What really had all the fibre yesterday was the Cook Mediterranean Pot I had for lunch, which was a sort of mixed bean and lentil casserole. It was very good, with lots of vegetables – and 22g of fibre. Beans and lentils are well known for having tons of fibre and in a stew or casserole with plenty of vegetables as well, you can get your entire daily recommended intake of 25g in one serving. Being so high in fibre is one of the reasons a vegetarian diet is so healthy. Not only does it reduce your risk of several cancers by clearing the body of wastes and toxins faster, but it also makes you feel full so you don’t overeat. Yet another reason why vegetarians tend to be slimmer than meat eaters!

Having said that, the high fibre content can also cause digestive troubles for those who aren’t used to getting that much, most notably the famous rumbling trousers effect. But like most aspects of a healthy lifestyle, once you get used to eating more fibre you won’t have as much trouble. Or so they tell me!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1658.15
100.54g
175.22g
52.16g
8.0g
43.65g
24%
43%
29%
4%
Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
with Flora Light
7g
St Dalfour Orange and Ginger jam
13g
Rowse liquid honey
8g
09:00
Black Tea
500mL
11:15
Green Grapes
100g
Sponser chocolate Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
11:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:00
Cranberry and orange tea
250mL
13:30
Cook Mediterranean Pot
320g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
18:15
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
20:00
Baked chicken breast
130g
Boiled and mashed sweet potato
170g
Steamed cauliflower
83g
Steamed broccoli
87g
Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Cranberry sauce
20g
Bisto Best Chicken Gravy
about 5g
20:15
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill
21:00
Taylor's Port
50mL

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment