Monday 12 March 2012

When Salad is the Only Choice

Yesterday was a more typical day for me when I’m travelling. Good breakfast, small lunch comparatively low in carbohydrates, and an afternoon snack I brought myself. We spent the day doing touristy things, first at the British Museum then at the Tower of London, finishing off with Tower Bridge. We had lunch at the British Museum cafe, which is normally OK for gluten free food, with fresh fruit, crisps and the occasional gluten free brownie for snacks, though you tend to be limited to salads for mains. Yesterday however, there was only one main meal choice as the other two salads had couscous in them and the soup was not gluten free. Disappointing to say the least!

Oddly enough, this meant I was low, not on carbohydrates, but on protein. I’ve found that I can usually find some fruit or nuts, and I can always get a bag of crisps or a chocolate bar, when I need extra carbohydrates and fats. It’s when you need a proper meal with plenty of protein that you struggle. Actually I have this theory that gluten free food is either fresh, natural, and expensive, or completely processed, fake and cheap. It’s the middle of the road chain restaurants and chic cafes that have very little in the way of gluten free choices. These types of restaurants also tend to rely on traditional Western foods which often use wheat – pizza, pasta, pies, bread, cakes . . . even soups and gravies are thickened with wheat flour. Not only are these foods cheaper, but things like sandwiches or pork pies can be made up in advance and served throughout the day. More importantly, it means your protein comes together with your glutinous carbohydrates.Or how I end up getting a salad more often than not when I end up in a cafe!

I swear if I hadn’t already been prone to trying different ethnic cuisines, following a gluten free diet would have forced me to it!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2006.80
88.56g
252.20g
62.91g
15.5g
26.62g
18%
50%
28%
5%
Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
150mL
09:00
Black Tea
500mL
12:45
Spinach salad
1/2 cup
with avocado
1/4 of 1
and King Prawns
5 prawns
and beans
1/4 cup
Pipers Crisp Co Cheddar and onion
40g
This Water Lemons and Limes
420mL
15:30
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
Black Tea
350mL
18:00
Strawberry lemonade Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
19:45
Homemade Cottage pie
1.5 servings
Salad with tomatoes and vinaigrette
1 cup
Red Wine
150mL
20:15
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself chocolate mousse
62.5g
Caffeine free Black Tea with milk and sugar
350mL
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment