Wednesday 21 March 2012

Finding My Weaknesses

Normally during my rest weeks I stop all running but carry on with most of my resistance workouts and do a bit of cross training (or I try to). This time though I’ve decided to try a couple of yoga or Pilates classes rather than continuing my weight workouts, operating on the theory that a change is as good as a rest. So I went to my first Body Balance class last night. I’d say the biggest lesson I learned was I am not nearly as strong as I thought I was. My flexibility was good, and I was OK at balancing on one leg, but not so good at holding the poses, most of which involved a deep lunge or sumo squat while holding the arms out at shoulder height. I just couldn’t hold the poses for nearly long enough, or keep up with the variations, so had to stop and rest several times. Actually, I did better at the abs and back exercises, feeling the burn but able to keep up with the Pilates one hundreds and planks. At least I know what to work on when I put together my next weight routine!

I was planning on doing another class on Thursday, but given how difficult it was I’m not sure I will. That’s because the other thing I’ve started doing is a Park Run at the end of my rest week. Park Runs are free, timed 5 Km runs done in various parks around the country every Saturday morning. In London alone there are five or six different ones run in Richmond Park, Bushy Park, Hyde Park, etc. I like to do them once a month to track my progress, as they’re pretty low key – no fees, no need to sign up in advance – but you still get an “official” result and the feel of a race (lots of people, most of them faster than me). For it to be a valid test of my progress I don’t want to be too tired or muscle sore, so I might be better off taking two rest days before instead of one.

Then again, given how much chocolate I’ve had over the past four days, I might need all the exercise I can get!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2441.86
130.21g
303.98g
80.94g
0
27.85g
21%
50%
30%

Calories burned through exercise:
175


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Mushrooms
100g
in butter
5g
Raw Tomato
98g
Waitrose Love Life free from fruit scones
1 scone
with Flora Light
2g
St Dalfour Blackcurrant jam
16g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
09:45
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
11:00
Plums
105g
Irish Yoghurts Diet Fruits of the Forest
125g
Brazil nuts
6g
11:30
Galaxy Minstrel milk chocolate Easter egg
50g
Caffeine free Black tea with milk and sugar
500mL
13:30
Sainsbury's Lean steak
105g
Mashed potatoes
175g
with butter
5g
Microwaved Cauliflower
98g
Microwaved Broccoli
84g
Bisto Best beef gravy
about 5g
Skim milk
200mL
17:45
Muller rice pudding vanilla custard
190g
18:30
Body Balance exercise class
Lemon Tea Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
20:45
Chicken fajita mix
165g
Old El Paso Refried beans
135g
Waitrose Cornish Quartz cheddar
10g
Old El Paso Thick and Chunky Salsa
30g
Galaxy Minstrel milk chocolate Easter egg
50g
22:00
Butterkist microwave butter popcorn
25g
23:45
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment