Wednesday 28 March 2012

Surprises Travelling to Zurich

Travelling days are always hard, whether you are a Celiac struggling to find food you can eat or someone determined to stick to a healthy diet. I had a flight to Zurich at 11:30am yesterday, which pretty much dominated the day. Just a short hop (2 hours) to Zurich, which means they only provide “snacks” on the flight. And invariably this means no food for Celiac’s or other “special diets”.  Knowing this, I made sure to get a good snack of nuts and dried fruit (OK, and chocolate) at the airport before boarding the plane. However, I was still very annoyed when the “snack” was a sandwich – with no gluten free alternatives despite putting gluten free on my ticket when I booked it. Not only that, but the staff had not even been told!

So, a latish lunch of sushi at the airport before heading to my friends where I was staying. To my surprise, I discovered my friend had taken up the latest fad diet – the 4 hour body diet. Basically, it’s a version of the low carb, paleo diet – No wheat or grain based carbohydrates (bread, pasta, porridge, etc.), no fruit, no dairy, nothing with white sugar, and lots of meat, fish, eggs, beans, lentils and vegetables.  Like most of these diets, it’s not so much what you eat that makes you drop weight so fast, but the fact that most of these foods are MUCH lower in calories than the ones you cut out. Going from 2500 calories a day to 1200 calories a day – of course you’re going to lose weight like crazy!

Which is why I went out and bought my own milk and juice for breakfast and ended up eating a gluten free hot cross bun with a glass of milk a couple of hours after our dinner of grilled chicken and salad. I’m not a dieter, I’m a runner, so I do need the carbohydrates!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2483.35
128.94g
318.38g
76.63g
0
37.64g
21%
51%
28%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Sainsbury's Freefrom oats
50g
with Sultanas
20g
Sainsbury's Orange, Mango and Passionfruit juice
200mL
07:30
Black Tea
500mL
10:45
Sainsbury's fruit and seed mix
40g
Brazil nuts
6g
Galaxy smooth milk chocolate
42g
Glaceau Vitamin Water, Revive
500mL
12:30
Black Tea
100mL
13:30
Maki and Nigiri sushi
10 pieces
Edamame
1/2 cup
Apfel Schorle
500mL
16:45
Fresh Strawberries
105g
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
18:30
Grilled chicken breast
about 100g
with Cattlemen's Classic Barbecue sauce
about 1 tbsp
Spinach salad
50g
with tomato
about 100g
avocado
1/2 of one
broccoli
2 florets
strawberries
50g
truffle olive oil
1 tsp
and white balsamic vinegar
1 tsp
20:00
Sainsbury's Freefrom Hot cross buns
1 bun
2% milk
about 200mL

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment