Monday 26 March 2012

One good day in a week of too much Chocolate

This was one of the healthier diet days I’ve had in the past week. Actually stayed below 2000 calories, 5+ servings of fruit and veg (the bean stew has 2-3 servings of vegetables since its all vegetables and beans in a tomato base), high in fibre, and no junk food. Despite the lack of junk food (the sorbet was only 140 calories and was made with pureed fruit) it was surprisingly high in fat, though most of that was from good fats in the olive oil and avocados. However, it does mean that once again I am short on protein and higher on fats than I would like.

Overall this lack of balance, coupled with an abundance of calories from chocolate, was a major theme last week. I averaged 2325 calories a day with less than 100 calories a day burned through exercise (I only had one body balance workout and one 30 minute race), with 20% of those calories from protein, 51% from carbohydrates and 29% from fat. At the start of the month when I decided to up the amount of carbohydrates to 50% of my diet, the idea was to keep the amount of protein at 25% and drop the amount of fat from 30% to less than 25%. However last week most of my “extra” carbohydrates can from sweet treats, which are also full of fat. The worst part is this was a rest week, so the excess fats are likely to hang around because they were not used to fuel exercise, while the lack of protein may have impaired the muscle building that’s supposed to happen in a rest week.

This week I will be in Switzerland on business, so it’s going to get harder to keep my nutrients balanced. I used to live in Zurich, so I do have the advantage of knowing where to go to get gluten free food. The bad news is that I also know gluten free food is less available and less well known in Switzerland than it is in the UK. So my goals this week: Get in all my workouts and get enough to eat. Worry about calories and nutrient balance next week.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1916.47
98.21g
238.90g
64.41g
0
29.0g
20.5%
50%
30%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
with Flora Light
8g
St Dalfour Blackcurrant jam
32g
Sainsbury's Orange, Mango and Passionfruit juice
200mL
10:00
Black Tea
500mL
12:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:45
Baked chicken breast
125g
Mashed potato
200g
with butter
6g
Stir fried Kale
50g
in Olive oil
7.5mL
with Pine nuts
4g
Bisto Best Chicken Gravy
about 5g
Sainsbury's Bramley apple sauce
30g
14:30
Green Tea
250mL
17:00
Fresh Strawberries
100g
Sponser Chocolate Recovery Shake
30g
in Skim milk
225mL
20:45
Lee's Hippy Farm Beans (Leon's recipe book)
350g
Fresh avocado
60g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
21:30
Sainsbury’s Raspberry Sorbet
132g
22:15
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment