Thursday 15 March 2012

Curry as a Treat

A much better day all around. Not only was it bright and sunny again, but I did get a good night’s sleep so was feeling more awake and motivated. I had a good morning working away at my desk, was able to eat quite sensibly, and had no problems doing my weight routine. Where it falls down a bit is with the dinner. Chicken curry with rice, salad and a couple of poppadoms doesn’t look like a lot of food on the plate, but it came in at over 800 calories and almost 30g of fat!

I always have this image of Asian food, from India to China to Thailand, as being healthier than traditional Western food. Which may or may not be true, but that doesn’t mean its low calorie! Until I came to England I had never considered having a curry as a regular meal, either as a take away or something made at home. Growing up I thought we did OK for international food at home – we had traditional Western meat and potatoes meals, but also Italian pasta, Mexican tacos and fajitas, “Chinese” stir fries and Ukrainian perogies and cabbage rolls. But the prairies in Canada were mainly settled by Europeans, so finding truly Asian meals like Indian curries and Japanese sushi was rather difficult. It’s changing now but I still remember the first time I had Japanese food was when I went to University in Vancouver in 1996.

This being the case I still view many Asian foods as occasional treats and as such am rubbish at estimating calories and fat grams in these meals. I’m sure there are lower calories versions, but for the moment I’d best keep my curries as occasional treats!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2193.34
129.01g
269.61g
65.67g
0
24.85g
24%
49%
27%

Calories burned through exercise:
273


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
09:30
Black Tea
500mL
10:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
10:30
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Satsumas
105g
Irish Yoghurts Diet Strawberry
125g
12:45
Homemade cottage pie
1 serving
Alpro soya original
200mL
Raw Tomato
113g
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself chocolate mousse
62.5g
13:15
Green Tea
250mL
14:15
Resistance workout
Strawberry lemonade Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
15:15
Sponser Chocolate Recovery Shake
30g
in Skim milk
225mL
20:00
Loyd Grossman Rogan Josh sauce with chicken added
265g
Tilda Lime & Coriander rice
125g
Waitrose baby leaf salad
25g
Sharwood’s plain poppadoms
2 poppadoms
with Sharwood’s Mango chutney
50g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment