Tuesday 27 March 2012

Starting the week off Right!

I was a bit busy yesterday preparing for my trip to Zurich but I was careful to eat every 3 hours and, as I was out and about, I had little time for snacking. In many ways it was the perfect diet day – right proportions of nutrients, less than 2000 calories, high in fibre, enough fruit and veg and no junk food. Somewhat unsurprisingly avoiding the chocolates not only lowered the calories but made it much easier to balance the nutrients in my diet. This was very much a case of getting the week off to a good start!

I also had my first pyramid run of the season in the afternoon. I like to do my serious interval runs on a treadmill, so I can accurately gauge how fast I am going for how many minutes. It went OK, though I found I needed a good 5 minutes of recovery for every 5 minute pyramid, so one goal next time is to not only to up the speed a bit, but also lower the recovery time. However, I did find myself feeling a bit sick to my stomach during the most intense part of the run. I’ve felt this way before – most notably on Saturday, when I set a new Personal Best time at the Bushy park Run but then came several hard swallows away from throwing up afterwards. At the time I thought that I’d had too much protein for my breakfast, or maybe it was the intensity of the effort with no water (or electrolytes). But that’s can’t be the whole problem since I had a bottle of Nuun this time and was careful to sip it throughout my run. So I’m back to thinking the problem is eating too close to the run, and possibly eating a protein rich meal just before a run.

Guess it’s time to get serious about experimenting with race day/intense run nutrition along with my speedwork!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1962.64
124.49g
254.31g
51.08g
0
32.80g
25%
52%
23%

Calories burned through exercise:
425


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's Orange, Mango and Passionfruit juice
200mL
09:00
Black Tea
500mL
11:00
Herbal fruit tea
250mL
12:30
Pork Loin
65g
Parsnips
131g
Carrots
60g
Beets
74g
all roasted and brushed with olive oil
7mL
Sainsbury's Bramley apple sauce
30g
Skim milk
200mL
Muller rice pudding original
190g
14:00
Pyramid interval run - 35 min
Citrus Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
15:30
Fresh Strawberries
105g
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
19:00
Caffeine free Black tea with milk and sugar
500mL
20:00
Baked salmon
98g
Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa
100g
Kraft Light Honey Mustard dressing
10g
Frozen peas
100g
21:00
Fresh pineapple
142g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment