Friday 9 March 2012

Falling into the Family Trap

I fell into two traps yesterday: restaurant food masquerading as low calorie and following my husband’s lead. I was in meetings all morning so missed my morning snack. Rather than wait until I got home to eat and go too long without food, I decided to have an early lunch on the go. I enjoy Leon’s restaurants because they usually have a decent selection of gluten free foods and it’s all pretty healthy anyways. Unfortunately healthy does not mean low calorie! I was really surprised to find my small slice of pecan pie was over 600 calories, but truly floored to find the chicken and rice box topped 800 calories! This would have been fine if I had then eaten the meals I had planned at my normal times, but then we didn’t have dinner until almost 9pm, at which point I was starving. Despite having a large steak for dinner, and no workout, I was still peckish all night and ended up finishing off my husband’s Dairy Milk chocolate bar.  

I don’t recall if I’ve discussed the effects of friends and family on health and fitness before. Basically, we like to hang out with people who are just like us and we tend to unconsciously emulate those around us. If everyone we know is a couch potato, we are more likely to become a couch potato. If everyone around us is into exercise, odds are we’ll give it a go. One of the classic problems with this are the marriage/moving in together pounds. When women start living and eating with a male partner they often gain weight because they fall into the trap of eating the same foods, and the same amount of food, as their partner. Problem is, their partner is usually larger with a much higher muscle mass, so can get away with eating more without gaining weight.

In my case it means I am more likely to eat 300 calories of Dairy Milk chocolate I didn’t need because my husband is. Some days I just can’t be bothered to fight the psychology!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
3070.00
136.26g
344.27g
131.88g
0
24.77g
18%
45%
38%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Sainsbury's Freefrom oats
50g
with Sultanas
20g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
09:30
Black Tea
500mL
11:30
Leon's Aioli Chicken rice box
1 serving
Leon's raspberry lemonade
300mL
12:00
Leon's Pecan pie
1 slice
14:00
Green tea
250mL
15:00
Strawberry lemonade Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
16:00
Honeydew melon
150g
Irish Yoghurts Diet Pear and Mango
125g
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
20:45
Sainsbury's British Extra lean casserole steak
140g
Boiled and mashed sweet potato
200g
Stir fried Kale
40g
in Olive oil
7.5mL
with Pine nuts
4g
Bisto Best beef gravy
about 5g
21:30
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself chocolate mousse
62.5g
22:00
Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate
10 chunks
23:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment