Thursday 20 October 2011

A Word about Measurement

By doing this food diary I am learning new meanings for the label “convenience food”. Generally means something ready to go, which you don’t have to make yourself. However, in my case, these have the added joy of having all the nutritional information per serving right there on the back of the packet. Because when you cook at home, you have to work it out yourself. Normally this isn’t so hard, as I have a good set of measuring cups and a kitchen scale (which is why most of my portions are given in grams), so I simply measure the number of grams or millilitres of a particular food, then use the given nutritional information per 100g on the back of the package, or go to a calorie counting website like www.calorieking.com or www.nutritiondata.com to find that information.

The problem is when I make a large complicated dish like the Turkey Cottage Pie last night. The basic idea is the same; weigh or measure each ingredient before it goes in, look up the nutritional value for each, then add up the calories, protein, carbohydrates and fat for the total dish. The tricky bit is I then have to find the total weight of the finished dish, either by weighing each portion or the whole thing. Once I have the total, I then weigh my portion and divide that weight by the total to get the proportion of the total calories etc. in my portion. In other words, far more work! And even after all that, odds are good that my totals are only rough estimates anyways as cooking different ingredients together can change their nutritional values (are the just firm carrots in the pie raw, boiled or baked?).

I don’t think I will be switching to more frozen dinners anytime soon, but I admit there are days it’s tempting!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1883.90
109.55g
234.04g
44.71g
15.5g
23.21g
23%
50%
21%
6%
Calories burned through exercise:
367


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson’s Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Bob's Red Mill Pure Oats
40g
and raisins
20g
Sainsbury's orange, mango and passionfruit juice
200mL
09:00
Black tea
500mL
10:30
Brazil nuts
8g
Cashews
15g
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:30
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Pork medallion
69g cooked
Roasted potatoes
86g
Roasted Beets
92g
all brushed with olive oil (and herbs)
10mL
Colman's Bramley apple sauce
1 tbsp
Spinach
25g
Tomato
93g
The English Provender Balsamic Italian Dressing
15g
15:30
Workout - resistance training
Citrus Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
500mL
16:30
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
Sponser chocolate Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
19:45
Red Wine
150mL
20:15
Homemade Turkey Cottage Pie
320g
21:15
Sainsbury’s Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
21:45
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment