Friday 21 October 2011

The Danger of too few Calories

It is recommended by most sports nutritionists that you try to keep your calorie intake in line with your activity levels on a day to day basis. The idea is to eat less on rest days and a bit more on training days, and a lot more if you have a race or a long, hard session. Yesterday was a somewhat busy day, so I was relieved it was also a rest day in my training plan. I was trying to keep the calorie count down, mindful that I would get no extra exercise, but I wasn’t counting every meal as I went along. I was really hungry for my dinner but felt I had had a big lunch so just had some stew. I was hungry again an hour later but tried to distract myself and just drink more water – which worked, I didn’t snack. Unfortunately, I need to get better at listening to my body as that bowl of soup was less than 300 calories and my total intake only 1450 calories! No wonder I was hungry!

Obviously you want to create a calorie deficit if you’re trying to lose weight. The problem is that if you don’t eat enough and you’re feeling hungry all the time, your body decides that this is a famine and it’s time to conserve what little food, and energy, it does get. Your body does this by slowing down your metabolism so you burn far fewer calories at rest and feel rather sluggish, so you don’t feel like exercising. In this state you can be eating very little food and still not be losing weight. That’s one of the reasons why it’s a much better idea to create a calorie deficit through exercise, rather than “dieting”. In order to prevent starvation mode, I want to make sure I get at least 1600 calories a day. Better a slow but sustainable weight loss than none at all!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1451.11
89.16g
151.18g
53.24g
0
26.57g
25%
42%
33%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
185g
Raw tomato
85g
Mushrooms
110g
in butter
5g
Sainsbury's orange, mango and passionfruit juice
150mL
09:30
Black tea
500mL
10:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
11:15
Sainsbury’s Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
13:30
Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself Pork medallion
69g cooked
Tinned Green Giant sweet corn
127g
Roasted Carrots
84g
Roasted parsnips
65g
all brushed with olive oil (and herbs)
10mL
Colman's Bramley apple sauce
1 tbsp
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
17:15
Brazil nuts
8g
Cashews
17g
17:45
Camomile, honey and vanilla tea
250mL
20:15
Leon's Chicken, Pumpkin and Borlotti bean stew
307g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment