Wednesday 12 October 2011

Why I Eat Every 3 Hours

This was a much better day nutritionally, as the balance was much closer to my ideal 25%- 45%-30%. However, I spent the day being really hungry, from breakfast right the way through supper, so some of my timings were off. And I clearly didn’t get enough to eat after my run in the afternoon as I was starving an hour later and ended up eating popcorn while making dinner!

This brings up a couple of point about timing. Oddly enough, when you eat can be just as important as what you eat, especially if you do any exercise. Basically, you should eat about every three hours as this keeps the level of glucose in your bloodstream relatively constant. Once you run out of a ready supply of glucose for energy, your body has to get more from the glycogen in the liver or by converting the fat in our body. You would think this is a good thing. The problem is that our brains run on glucose and when the supply runs low I start to feel tired, irritable, lose my concentration and take longer to process complex information (most people do only they don’t know what is wrong!). If I leave it too long I get so hungry I can eat enough for two at my next meal, or binge on the nearest junk food to get the glucose levels back up as fast as possible. So it sounds counterintuitive, but eating little and often is a far better way to lose weight because you are never too hungry and less likely to succumb to emotional eating.

With exercise, you need enough ready energy to supply your workouts and the right stuff to recover afterwards. There is a 30 minute window right after exercise when the body diverts anything you eat directly into repairing the damage done by exercise and making new muscle. So I try to work out one or two hours after breakfast or lunch so I have plenty in the tank beforehand, then I always have a snack or recovery drink right after. Though it looks like I need to work on what I’m eating after my workouts as 100 calories of fruit and yoghurt just isn’t cutting it!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Fibre:
1870.02
106.37g
234.68g
56.76g
27.53g
23%
50%
27%
Calories burned through exercise:
352

What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Mattesson’s Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black tea
500mL
10:00
Brazil nuts
8g
Cashews
15g
Apple
100g
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:15
Shrimp stir fry
245g
Brown rice
130g
Sainsburys Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
14:00
Green Tea
250mL
15:30
Short Easy Run
16:00
Citrus Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
500mL
16:45
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
18:45
Butterkist salted microwave popcorn
35g popped
19:30
Baked salmon
122g
Roasted butternut squash
200g
with olive oil
1 tsp
Steamed cauliflower
91g
Steamed broccoli
60g
21:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

No comments:

Post a Comment