Wednesday 26 October 2011

Losing Motivation

I decided to take another rest day yesterday, just in case I was fighting off a cold or had been overtraining. I was feeling much better, but was still tired, and was not feeling motivated at all. This despite having a beautiful, sunny fall day, perfect for running!

To be honest, I thought I would have problems with motivation before this. I am motivated by my goals of running a half marathon in the spring and improving my 5Km race time, but those are long term goals. It’s hard to convince myself that missing a couple of workouts now will really make that much of a difference six months from now. And despite making progress, my short term goal of losing 10lbs by Christmas is really hard to focus on day after day. Kate Moss is quoted as saying “Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels”. Quite frankly, I disagree! Food is fuel for training but is also one of the great joys of daily life. And losing weight to get back into my clothes is not as motivating as a big running event or bikini holiday, neither of which is currently on the horizon.

Part of the problem is that I have to be self motivated in all areas of my life. I work from home, alone, setting up and running my own company. If I don’t do the work there is nobody else to do it, but at the same time there is nobody to get after me to do the work! Or even to tell me what work I should be doing! And since we have not really started trading yet, there is not even the reward of seeing the money coming in, or seeing more money coming in if I work harder. I think I need to start rewarding myself in some way for going for a run, for eating well all week, or for getting my company work done. Any suggestions?

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1718.77
95.21g
239.54g
42.94g
0
34.23g
22%
56%
22%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson’s Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Bob's Red Mill Pure Oats
40g
and raisins
20g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
09:15
Black tea
500mL
11:15
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
11:30
Herbal fruit tea
250mL
14:00
King Prawn stir fry in Oyster sauce
307g
Merchant Gourmet tinned puy lentils
100g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
Sainsbury's Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
17:15
Sponser chocolate Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
Butterkist salted microwave popcorn
20g popped
20:00
Sainsbury's extra lean beef escalopes
74g
New potatoes
101g
Carrots
85g
Beets
103g
all brushed with olive oil and roasted
10mL
Bisto Best beef gravy
about 3g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment