Thursday 27 October 2011

Vitamin Deficiency and Me

Like many people, my Celiac’s disease went undiagnosed for the first 30 years of my life. One of the symptoms was several severe vitamin and mineral deficiencies, particularly iron. I was always anaemic despite eating plenty of red meat and having very light periods. I was also always getting numbness and tingling in my toes and fingers, which it turns out is nerve damage due to vitamin K deficiency. As well, I had several bouts of depression which is strongly associated with deficiencies in B vitamins, folic acid, zinc, iron, and vitamin D. I always took a multi-vitamin and often added different supplements, but they were doing me little good as my small intestine was so damaged from the gluten it was unable to absorb anything.

Now that I am following the gluten free diet I haven’t had any problems with anaemia, but there are a few supplements I still take. Like many people, I take a multi-vitamin just to make sure all my bases are covered. However, last year my annual check up showed I was low in vitamin D, so I now take a daily supplement. Vitamin D is made by the skin when it comes into contact with sunlight, so vitamin D deficiency is quite common in rainy or northern countries like the UK, especially if you wear sunscreen. Vitamin D is best known for helping your body absorb calcium and phosphorous, important for strong bones, but it also supports the immune system and helps protect your brain against ageing. I also take vitamin E, as it is a powerful antioxidant- it combines with oxygen and destroys free radicals before they can damage your cells. This free radical cell damage contributes to cancer, heart disease and aging in general. And exercise creates more free radicals. Finally, I take glucosamine sulphate as running can be quite hard on the joints and I have a touch of runner’s knee from years of gymnastics as a child.  

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1835.05
95.72g
217.42g
60.01g
0
42.93g
21%
48%
30%

Calories burned through exercise:
485


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson’s Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black tea
500mL
10:00
Easy Run
11:00
Tri-Berry Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
Sponser vanilla Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
13:45
Spinach
25g
Tomato
78g
The English Provender Balsamic Italian Dressing
12g
John West Mackerel fillets with no added brine
50g
with Hellmann's light mayonnaise
13g
and Branston gherkin relish
10g
on Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
Sainsbury's Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
14:15
Green Tea
250mL
17:30
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
16:00
Camomile, honey and vanilla tea
250mL
20:00
Cook Indian Pot
320g
21:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment