Tuesday 11 October 2011

The Problem with Eating Out

I had a very busy day yesterday, with several meetings in the centre of London. The meant I had to get my workout in early and eat out for both lunch and supper. I learned long ago that the key to finding good gluten free food on the go is to plan ahead, so I had already arranged to have lunch with my husband at Leon’s and knew of a Carluccio’s near my last meeting where I could have dinner if things ran late. Both of these chains have a great selection of gluten free food, right down to several choices of gluten free desserts (not just a fruit salad or ice cream).

The most common problem for me when eating out is the lack of nutritional information, which makes it difficult to keep a food diary. Most chains now have the nutritional information for their dishes on the website, but there is a complete lack of any nutritional information on the Carluccio’s website. I guessed that the gluten free pasta would have the same nutritional profile as the stuff in my cupboard, and I guessed about how much I ate. But I could be wrong on both counts so today’s calorie count is more of a ballpark estimate. Ironically I had the opposite problem with Leon’s. I made the rookie mistake of assuming that “healthy” food meant low calorie and low fat. According to the Leon’s website the Magic Mackerel salad has 617 calories and 50 g of fat! I think that’s a new record for me. Worse yet, despite having a side of corn, I was hungry again an hour later!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Fibre:
2485.76
79.46g
334.26g
97.17g
22.35g
13%
54%
35%
Calories burned through exercise:
379

What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Genius brown bread toast
2 slices
with Flora Light
10g
and St Dalfour Raspberry jam
24g
Sainsburys pressed apple juice
200mL
08:00
Black tea
500mL
08:45
Workout - resistance training
Tri-Berry Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
500mL
09:45
For Goodness Shakes SuperBerry recovery drink
80g sachet
13:30
Leon's Magic Mackerel Salad
1 portion
Leon's Corn off the Cob
1 portion
Leon's Raspberry lemonade
1 portion
15:15
Green Tea
500mL
16:15
Sainsbury's fruit and seed mix
40g
Apple
about 100g
17:15
Black tea
200mL
20:00
Carluccio's Gluten Free Pasta
about 75g
with Wild Boar Ragu
very little
Carluccio's Courgettes
about 1/2 of one
in Butter
about 10g
21:00
Sainsburys Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
Twinings Camomile, honey and vanilla tea
200 mL

No comments:

Post a Comment