Tuesday 25 October 2011

Listening to my Body

One of the things I struggle with is the idea of listening to my body. When it comes to diet you are supposed to simply eat when you are hungry, and stop when you’re not. When it comes to exercise, you are supposed to modify most workouts based on how you feel that day. Unfortunately I am a sciency type who really likes to have a plan and stick to it, so I can better measure my responses to diet and training. I find it quite motivating to see just how many calories I have burned in each exercise session and to measure just how balanced my diet is. So I find it very difficult to go off plan and just take another day of rest (unless I am truly ill), or to just eat whatever I feel like whenever I feel hungry. Being a Celiac has only made this worse, as I have to plan where I’m going to get gluten free food whenever I leave the house for more than a couple of hours.

I was still feeling quite tired and a bit sore yesterday, so I cut my back on my normal resistance workout. I still did a ten minute warm up but I only did one set of every exercise instead of two, and spent a good 20 minutes stretching to cool down. I was absolutely exhausted afterwards, and spent the rest of the day in a bit of a fog and feeling a bit down. Now maybe I’m fighting off my husband’s cold, but it’s also possible that I have been overtraining and need a bit of a break. Most serious training plans follow a ‘3 hard weeks followed by 1 easy week’ schedule. I had planned to start such a cycle when my training sessions got longer next month, but not yet as most of my workouts are still less than 30 minutes (plus warm up and cool down). I thought I was fit enough to handle short workouts 5 days a week, but maybe not!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1910.65
118.12g
227.19g
60.44g
0
31.84g
25%
47%
28%

Calories burned through exercise:
315


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pure squeezed orange juice
100mL
08:45
Black tea
500mL
10:00
Workout - resistance training
Tri-Berry Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
11:00
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
Sponser vanilla Recovery Shake
20g
mixed with skim milk
150mL
14:15
King Prawn stir fry in Oyster sauce
307g
Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa
100g
14:45
Green Tea
250mL
17:45
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Blush pear
113g
19:45
Chicken fajita (mix of chicken and peppers without the tortilla)
210g
Old El Paso Refried beans
100g
Homemade guacamole
110g
20:15
Cook Lemon and lime pavlova
85g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment