Friday 14 October 2011

How Much Protein is Too Much?

I find healthy eating more difficult on rest days. You are supposed to eat a bit less than on your workout days, but the workout itself helps keep your appetite in check, so I find I’m hungrier than on a workout day. Particularly in the late afternoon, when I find it hard to stick to a mere 150 or 200 calorie snack. Yesterday I had the distraction of being out of the house from about 4pm to almost 7pm, but then there are so many places to buy a chocolate bar on the way home! Honestly the best way to avoid temptation is just to keep moving and not got into the shop.

All told this was another good diet day. The fat percentage was a bit high but everything else went well, so I’m not too fussed about that. I have noticed that on my 1800 calorie diet I need to be getting over 100g of protein to have it be close to 25% of my calories. The EU recommends 0.8g of protein per kilo of body weight per day for most people, which is only 51g for me. However, as an athlete I need more protein to repair and grow muscles damaged by exercise, as well as maintain a strong immune system.  The current ISSN (International Society for Sports Nutrition, http://www.sportsnutritionsociety.org/) guidelines for athletes are 1.0 to 1.6g of protein per kilo of body weight per day, which for me would be 64 to 102g. Either way I am definitely pushing it to the higher end of recommended protein intake, but I hardly think I am in danger of overdosing on protein. That is far more likely to happen to the legions of people on low carb diets. The problem is they do too little exercise to need that much protein and are trying to force their bodies to get energy from protein instead of from carbohydrates, the body’s usual fuel source. Not the case here!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Fibre:
1754.43
100.44g
202.76g
59.70g
28.9g
23%
46%
31%
Calories burned through exercise:
Rest day

What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
175g
Mushrooms
110g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
85g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
10:00
Black tea
500mL
11:00
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
Sainsburys Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
12:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:45
Shrimp stir fry
245g
Merchant Gourmet tinned puy lentils
100g
Spinach
25g
and walnuts
10g
The English Provender Balsamic Italian Dressing
15g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
14:45
Tri-Berry Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
500mL
16:30
Sainsbury's fruit and seed mix
40g
20:15
Home-made chicken risotto
300g

No comments:

Post a Comment