Saturday 25 February 2012

Spring is in the Air

We’ve a beautiful couple of days here in London, nice and sunny with temperatures in the high teens. The crocuses are in full bloom and yesterday I even saw some early daffodils in bloom. It really does feel like spring is in the air. Unfortunately for me, that also means that pollen is in the air.

I have no idea if it is related to having Celiac’s disease, but it seems that my immune system is always in overdrive. Not only do I have to avoid gluten, but I am also allergic to cats, dogs, horses, house dust, trees, grass, pollen . . . just about anything natural. And I have a degree in biology and wanted to be a field biologist! I can always tell when spring is on its way because my allergies start acting up. My allergies are not severe enough for the prescription stuff, but I do end up taking a daily antihistamine six to eight months of the year. Ironically, running outside can really make my allergies worse as my breathing speeds up, so I’m taking in more pollen filled air, and I breath more through my mouth, which means the air isn’t filtered by the mucus and hairs in my nose. On a bad day I can find myself coughing and wheezing at the end of a run, which is not encouraging.

Since moving to England, I find my allergies are at their worst in the spring and summer and ease off in the winter. Probably because the more it rains the better they are as rain, and cold, keeps the pollen down. However, with the very mild winter we’ve had and now looking at an early spring, I think it’s time to start taking antihistamines again.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1903.84
101.49g
235.04g
59.03g
0
30.65g
22%
50%
28%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
11:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Plums
135g
13:30
New Covent Garden Moroccan Tagine soup
300g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
Muller rice pudding smooth toffee
190g
14:00
Green Tea
250mL
16:30
Sponser Protein Snack bar
1 bar
Vita Coco coconut water
330mL
19:45
Sainsbury's Pork loin
68g cooked
Mrs Crimble's Sage & Onion stuffing mix
75g prepared
Green Giant Sweet corn
80g
Frozen peas
80g
Bisto Best pork gravy
about 5g
20:15
Sainsbury's Be good to Yourself chocolate mousse
62.5g
22:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment