Friday 3 February 2012

Sometimes you just can't have only one

I don’t know what it is but I rarely overeat during the day. I might occasionally have a big lunch, but I don’t really feel the need to hold myself back. Anytime after 4pm though, and I find myself easily swayed towards junk food of all kinds, sweet, salty and savoury. Either I’m not getting enough calories earlier in the day, or I have a tendency to fight exhaustion and stress with food.

Last night I got home after 7:30pm and my husband decided what he really felt like was a pizza. So he ordered his and I picked up my gluten free pizza on the way home. We ate at more or less the same time and I was careful to only serve myself half of my pizza, intending to have the rest today. However, I got to the end of my serving and I couldn’t help thinking “Is that it?” I knew I’d just had over 400 calories, but I was still craving more. So at first I tried distraction, watching TV while playing Sudoku, while next to me on the sofa my husband continued ploughing through his entire pizza. Then I thought putting all the figures into my food diary might help, so I did. Even though my calorie balance for the day was already over 1800, even though I had waited 20 minutes to let my brain register I was full, I still wanted more. So I served myself half of what was left, then thought “what am I going to do with one slice of pizza?” and took the last bit as well.

I was really tired as I’d had a workout earlier in the day, it was very cold out (cold weather makes you crave stodgy carbohydrates), and was feeling a bit stressed. So clearly there were a few emotional eating issues.  At the same time, I’m not convinced that eating too much pizza was necessarily a bad thing in this instance as it did make me feel better, it’s a very occasional treat, and maybe my body really needed the carbohydrates. It’s all about balance.

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2375.06
106.48g
327.11g
63.88g
8.26g
29.86g
18%
55%
24%
3%
Calories burned through exercise:
406


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:15
Black Tea
500mL
09:30
Tempo run - 28 min
10:15
Lemon lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
10:45
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
100g
Sponser vanilla Recovery Shake
20g (1 scoop)
mixed with skim milk
150mL
12:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:00
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
200g
Genius brown bread toast
1 Slice
Brussels Mini Paté Packs
22g
Raw tomato
120g
Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa dark chocolate
20g
14:00
Green Tea
250mL
16:45
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Pecans
10g
Black tea with milk and sugar
300mL
20:00
DS Mozzarella and tomato deep pan pizza
whole thing
Sainsbury's cooked ham slices
60g
Dole Pineapple slices in juice
2 slices
21:00
Cockburn's Special Reserve Port
52g
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment