Sunday 15 January 2012

The Worst Part of Dining Out Gluten Free

As I mentioned in yesterday’s blog entry I had spent the day travelling to visit family. It went very well, with us making good time on the road in the morning so being able spend plenty of time with everyone in the afternoon and evening.

However, as usual gluten free eating on the go was not easy and my calorie and nutrient counts are really wild guesses. In order to make such good time we had to leave early, and being a bit rushed that morning, I decided against taking the time to make a packed lunch for myself. Big mistake! Every rest stop had either big chain fast food joints like McDonald’s or KFC, which are never gluten free, or British staples like fish and chips or steak pie. So I decided to just wait until we got to the hotel and have a proper sit down meal in the hotel restaurant. The problem was, at 2pm the restaurant was closed, so we ended up eating in the hotel bar where the best I could do was a jacket potato with cheese and beans. It was OK, but not my favourite food and rather low in protein and vegetables. I meant to have one of the Protein Snack bars I had brought around 5pm, but was in the middle of a visit where it wouldn’t really be polite, so then didn’t eat again until dinner.

We went to a local pub called The Navigation, where we have been before and where the chef is very accommodating of gluten free. The chicken and apricot tagine I had was really very good, but again, not too many vegetables. I was really hungry as it had been so long since my last meal, and could easily have had dessert as well, but there was nothing gluten free on the extensive pudding list aside from ice cream – and it was cold out! I really hate when that happens because I feel so deprived, especially when other people at my table then order dessert and I have to watch them eat it!

I’m sure it kept the calorie count down, but it was not an uplifting end to the day!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2106.40
105.41g
281.06g
48.69g
15.10g
22.88g
20%
53%
21%
5%
Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
08:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Mesa Sunrise cereal
60g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
11:15
Sainsbury's fruit and seed mix
40g
Plums
110g
Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Spice latte (no whipped cream)
Grande
12:45
Cadbury Creme Egg
1 egg
14:00
Baked potato
3/4 of a large one
with cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded
and baked beans
about 200g
Black tea with milk and sugar
300mL
16:30
Black tea
300mL
19:30
Chicken, cranberry and apricot tagine
about 1 cup
White rice
about 3/4 cup
Rose wine
175mL

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment