Monday 16 January 2012

My Typical Diet on the Road

I always associate long car trips with junk food. In fact I find it really hard to be in a car for longer than an hour without snacking, or craving some kind of junk food. I think one of the reasons is that it was one of the few times we got proper junk food when I was a child. My mom never kept chocolate bars, chips or fizzy drinks in the house unless it was a special occasion like a birthday party. We still got dessert after supper, but it was more likely to be ice cream or a homemade apple pie or rhubarb crumble. Commercial junk food we only got on long car journeys, probably to keep us quiet!

I thought I did OK on Saturday to stick to my seeds and fruit for a morning snack on the way down, and to only have a crème egg once I realized lunch would be awhile. Unfortunately, as we were driving back in the afternoon yesterday I was feeling very tired and coming down with a cold. Instinct kicked in and before I knew it I had eaten an entire bag of toffee popcorn and had a crème egg (600 calories all told) in less than an hour. This despite having a big breakfast and lunch, and having several healthier snacks in the car already.

No doubt this is what put the calorie count up so high, though I was already having a rather high fat day. I started with a traditional full English breakfast, where the eggs and mushrooms are fried in some kind of grease and the bacon is fatty. I followed this up with a traditional pub Sunday roast, which included a large portion of roasted potatoes which were so crispy on the outside they had to have been coated in oil. Not to mention the crème brulee I had for dessert!

Unfotunately this is a very typical diet for me when I am travelling. A small blessing that we don’t go on as many holidays as I would like!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2566.90
112.03g
310.80g
95.82g
0
27.53g
17.5%
48.5%
34%

Calories burned through exercise:
250


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
75mL
Fried eggs
2 eggs
Baked beans
about 200g
Mushrooms
4 large
in butter
about 5g
Gilled tomato
2 halves
Back bacon
3 medallions
Orange juice
150mL
Black Tea with milk and sugar
2 cups
10:30
Gentle swim - 30 min
12:15
Turkey breast
2 slices
Crispy roasted potatoes
about 1.5 cups
Carrots
about 1/2 cup
Cabbage
about 1/2 cup
with butter
about 5g
Cranberry sauce
1 tbsp
Apple sauce
1 tbsp
Crème brulée
1/2 cup
Black Tea with milk and sugar
1 cup
16:00
Butterkist toffee popcorn
100g
Cadbury Creme Egg
1 egg
Glaceau vitamin water, defence
500mL
17:45
Camomile tea
300mL
19:15
Lemon and ginger tea with honey
250mL
20:15
Homemade chilli
290g

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment