Friday 13 January 2012

My First Hour Long Run!

I had a breakthrough moment yesterday – for the first time ever I ran for 1 hour straight without stopping or walking! It was really tough, it was the 5th day in a row I’ve done some kind of workout, so I was feeling quite tired and sore, and my left knee in particular was acting up. Thank goodness next week is a rest week, in which I plan to do no running whatsoever, so my knees can recover. I’ll still go for a swim or bike ride, and have a couple of gym sessions, but nothing like this past week.

Another thing which made my first hour long run so hard was the lack of fluids or fuel. I know that you should have more than enough water and fuel in your body for runs of less than an hour, and up until recently my long runs were only 45 minutes max. Plus high calorie sports drinks and gels can hinder weight loss by slowing down the fat burning process (as they provide easier to burn carbohydrates). However, I was absolutely wasted and starving after my run yesterday, despite cooling down properly, and eating a healthy recovery snack right away with 800mL of electrolyte enriched water. I was hungry all night, which led to Doritos before dinner, and cheese and chocolates after. Which pretty much cancels out the 550 + calories I burned doing the run! 

While feeling tired and hungrier is normal after a longer run, clearly my body felt it was lacking something essential. From now on I will have to at least take a bottle of water with an electrolyte tablet in it when I go for my long runs. If I am still feeling ravenous and exhausted after every long run, I’ll have to think about switching to a sports drink or trying some gels. Which is another first: I've never exercised for long enough or hard enough to really need such products before!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2344.15
122.20g
289.50g
78.68g
0
25.99g
21%
49%
30%

Calories burned through exercise:
569


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:15
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Mattesson's Turkey rashers
3 rashers
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
09:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
10:15
Sunstart Chocolate wrapped golden crunch biscuits
2 biscuits
Skim milk
210mL
12:00
Green Tea
250mL
13:15
Lee's Hippy Farm Beans (Leon's Receipe)
350g
Doritos Hint of Lime tortilla chips
40g
15:00
Easy long run - 60 min
16:15
Lemon Lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
16:45
Total Greek yoghurt
125g
Sainsbury's frozen mixed blueberries and strawberries
90g
Sponser Vanilla Recovery Shake
30g
in Skim milk
225mL
18:30
Dole pineapple slices in juice
46g
TriBerry Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
18:45
Doritos Hint of Lime tortilla chips
40g
19:45
Quick cook Turkey Steak
74g
Roasted butternut squash
197g
with Olive Oil
3.5mL
Stir fried Kale (in water)
65g
Essential Waitrose Bramley apple sauce
about 20g
21:00
Waitrose Wensleydale with Cranberries
28g
Waitrose Cornish Quartz Cheddar
25g
Turin Baileys filled chocolates
3 pieces

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment