Sunday 29 January 2012

Supporting my Long Run

Pretty much my entire day yesterday was centred on my long run. My husband and I had a good lie in then a very leisurely brunch. As I knew I would be running for over an hour and not having a mid morning snack, I ate more carbohydrates than I normally would (toast and jam with blueberries on the side). While I do understand the concept of training the body to burn more fat by running in a carbohydrate depleted state, it only works if you can control your cravings after the run as well. The last time I did an hour I was exhausted, headachy and craving sugar and carbs all evening.

So not only did I eat a large breakfast, I also took a small (250mL) bottle of sports drink on the run. I don’t know if it was the drink or if I am just getting fitter, but the run went really well. I had no trouble maintaining an even, easy pace and I had little trouble keeping my heart rate down until the very end. When we got back we did a good 30 minutes of cool down and stretching, immediately followed by lunch, a shower then a nap. This combination seems to have done the trick – no headache, reasonably awake and alert the rest of the evening, and no particular craving for sweets.

While I am trying to lose a couple more kilos of body fat, I’m not willing to sacrifice my running performance or feel like crap all the time. So from now on I will be taking on some carbs during my long runs, in order to prevent the headaches and cravings after. And in truth I doubt the 70 calories from the sports drink will make that big a difference when I’m burning 500 calories an hour. Now the amount of cheese I had for an afternoon snack, with its 22g of fat, I doubt that did me any favours in the weight loss department!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2181.62
106.22g
262.40g
80.58g
0
32.69g
19%
48%
33%

Calories burned through exercise:
603


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
10:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Scrambled eggs
2 large
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
185g
Mushrooms
100g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
120g
Genius brown bread toast
1 Slice
with Flora Light
5g
and St Dalfour 4 Fruits jam
16g
Blueberries
100g
Sainsbury's pressed apple and cherry juice
200mL
Black tea with milk and sugar
400mL
12:45
Long slow run - 60 min
250mL Sponser Isotonic fruit mix drink
20g (1 scoop)
14:00
Lemon lime Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
750mL
14:45
New Covent Garden Moroccan Tagine soup
300g
Genius brown bread toast
1 Slice
Sponser Chocolate Recovery Shake
30g
in Skim milk
225mL
17:00
Green Tea
250mL
18:00
Saint Agur Blue cheese
15g
Brie
28g
Extra Mature cheddar
15g
Wensleydale with cranberries
21g
Red grapes
95g
19:00
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
20:15
Baked salmon
100g
Merchant Gourmet Red and White Quinoa
100g
Kraft Light Honey Mustard dressing
10g
Stir fried Kale
33g
in Olive oil
7.5mL
with Pine nuts
3g
Sainsbury's Be good to Yourself chocolate mousse
62.5g
22:00
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment