Friday 30 December 2011

My First Swimming Hangover

I was in seriously rough shape yesterday morning. I knew I’d pushed it with the swimming the day before but I woke up with a pounding headache and legs so sore I could hardly get out of bed. Not to mention that I slept almost ten hours straight! I also think that maybe I didn’t get enough protein or something my body needed to start the recovery process because I haven’t had such sore muscles in a long time, no matter how hard I trained.

So my morning started with an electrolyte tablet in a big glass of water (I was really hoping it was a dehydration headache because that is easy to fix), then breakfast, then a couple of painkillers, then a bath with muscle salts. By about noon I was almost ready to face the day. Then I was out all afternoon, after which my headache returned, so I had a rather substantial snack at 5pm. From a timing point of view, not the best move as I wasn’t hungry for dinner at all so just had some beans. Can you guess what happened next? No points for saying an evening of snacking on the couch! On the plus side all the sugar did wonders for my mood and energy levels. And there are now no mince pies or chocolates of any kind left in the house.

Clearly I need to get better at listening to my body when I’m training and fuelling it properly after!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
2458.47
82.45g
335.64g
87.16g
0
26.46g
13%
55%
32%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Orange Nuun electrolyte tablet in water
500mL
Essential Waitrose unsmoked British back bacon medallions
80g
Gluten Free fruit muesli
70g
Alpro Soy milk
120mL
Essential Waitrose Pressed apple juice
200mL
10:30
Lemon and Ginger Tea
250mL
12:00
Black Tea
500mL
12:45
Turkey and butternut squash risotto
300g
Skim milk
210mL
Homemade sugar cookies
38g
17:00
Genius brown bread toast
1 slice
Brussels Mini Pâté Packs
20g
Waitrose Wensleydale with Cranberries
30g
Red Grapes
100g
18:00
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
19:30
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
200g
Tomato
130g
20:15
Sainsbury's Freefrom iced topped mince pies
2 pies
Waitrose Cornish Quartz Cheddar
32g
20:45
Quality Street chocolates
4 pieces
21:15
Homemade candied almonds
20g
2 Satsumas (Mandarin oranges)
125g

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment