Monday 5 December 2011

Escaping the Tyranny of Soy Sauce

Chinese food is one of those things I miss being a Celiac. You’d think it would be a good cuisine for Celiacs: Lots of rice, plenty of stir fried vegetables in a variety of sauces, little bread . . . but as much as I miss pork dumplings, the bigger problem is the soy sauce (with wheat) in every dish. So once again I am forced to learn to cook to get what I want. Fortunately the grocery stores in London tend to have a decent choice of international foods and sauces, so it’s not quite cooking from scratch.

Oddly enough I managed to have a stir fry for both lunch and supper yesterday (one of the reasons my diet was so low in fat). I regularly make shrimp or prawn stir fries for myself (my husband is allergic to shellfish) with either a sticky plum or oyster packet sauce, though I am more likely to serve it with tinned lentils than sticky white rice. However my husband then had a craving for Chinese for dinner, so we ended up having chicken in a lemon and ginger sauce, courtesy of Uncle Ben’s, with instant white rice vermicelli noodles, and prepared fresh Asian style vegetables (found in the produce aisle among the baggie salads) which only take five minutes in wok to cook. The stir fried bean sprouts and Bok choi certainly felt Asian, as did the water chestnuts added to the sauce. Actually the lemon and ginger sauce was really good, heavy on the ginger and not as sticky sweet as the sweet and sour sauce we usually get.

Even if I manage to escape the soy sauce, I still haven’t found a substitute for the other wonderful floury foods the Chinese have created. I worked with a Chinese Canadian girl one summer and she would regularly take me to this hole in the wall Chinese bakery to get fresh dumplings for lunch. I know it made me sick but what I remember is the taste! Anyone know of a Chinese place doing gluten free food in London?

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1788.25
100.39g
239.19g
45.53g
0
28.47g
23%
54%
23%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
10:00
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
175g
Mushrooms
100g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
115g
Sainsbury’s pressed apple juice
200mL
11:00
Black Tea
450mL
13:45
King Prawn Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce
310g
Merchant Gourmet tinned puy lentils
105g
Dole pineapple slices in juice
70g
14:30
Green Tea
200mL
17:15
Waitrose Ploughman's vintage farmhouse cheddar
35g
Mrs Crimbles's Cheese crackers
6 crackers
Waitrose Caramelised red onion chutney
34g
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
17:45
2 Clementines (Mandarin oranges)
158g peeled
19:30
Chicken breast
125g
and water chestnuts
37g
in Uncle Ben's Lemon Chicken stir fry sauce
125g
Instant rice vermicelli noodles
1 nest
Essential Waitrose Fresh Vegetable stir fry
75g
stir fried in vegetable oil
about 6mL
Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa dark chocolate
20g
21:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment