Saturday 3 December 2011

The Christmas Dilemma

Got the Christmas decorations out yesterday. I figured that December 2nd was close enough to Christmas to justify decorating the house. Of course the decorations came out last weekend in the US and weeks ago in practically every shop in the world, but I’ve always ascribed to the notion it actually has to be December before you can put up a Christmas tree.

In among all the Christmas stuff are my seasonal cookie cutters and baking tins, which brings up the question of Christmas baking. See normally I have a half dozen cookie and candy recipes that I make at the start of December, which are particularly special because I don’t bake at any other time of year. But I’ve found as I travelled the world that the cookies and treats I got as a child in Canada are by no means universal or available in every country I inhabit. Not to mention the added fun of trying to find gluten free versions. So over the years I’ve developed a few recipes that my mom used to make which I then adapt to be gluten free. The problem with this year is I’m trying to keep my weight down and naturally all my Christmas treats are high in calories, especially since my cookies tend to be incredibly morish. I’m not trying to actively diet this month but there is a difference between eating a bit more in the last two weeks and getting 1000 calories a day more (from fat and sugar) for weeks on end.

So do I go ahead and get baking, and just deal with the damage in January, or do I try to hold off so I only have one week at the end of the month when I overeat? I think the answer will be somewhere in the middle; no baking this weekend, but probably sometime in the next two weeks rather than right before Christmas. I’ll be sure to post the recipes when I do!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1901.02
109.24g
231.90g
57.89g
0
38.0g
23%
49%
27%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
07:45
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
175g
Mushrooms
100g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
115g
Sainsbury's orange, mango and passionfruit juice
200mL
08:30
Black Tea
500mL
10:30
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
11:45
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Sultanas
25g
12:30
Lemon and ginger tea
250mL
14:00
King Prawn Stir Fry with Oyster Sauce
310g
Merchant Gourmet tinned puy lentils
105g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
14:30
Green Tea
250mL
17:00
Sainsbury's Freefrom iced rich fruit cake slice
1 slice
Clementine (Mandarin orange)
85g (peeled)
Orange, mango and cinnamon tea
250mL
20:15
Baked chicken
105g
Mashed potatoes with milk and butter
200g
Frozen peas
80g
Steamed carrots
50g
Bisto Best Chicken Gravy
about 5g
Sainsbury's Taste the Difference Cranberry sauce
20g
20:45
Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa dark chocolate
40g

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment