Friday 30 September 2011

Introducing the 365 days of food challenge

Starting on October first I will be documenting every morsel of food and every sip of liquid to cross my lips for an entire year. I will be recording all the nutritional information for everything I eat and drink so we can both see dear reader, how I scored each day on calories, fat, fibre, and so on. I will also be letting you in on my goals and plans for the coming year, so you can see why I eat the way I do. If you are what you eat, then you are about to discover everything about me.

October first is a special day for me as it is four years ago on this day that I was diagnosed with Celiac’s disease and started on a gluten free diet. When I was diagnosed I found there was very little practical information on what to eat, just huge lists of what I could never have again! Like many Celiacs my first thought was: What the hell am I going to eat?

Well, it is my hope that by documenting my current food choices it will help other Celiacs to cope with the gluten free diet and maybe get excited about food again. I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist but I do have a degree in Biology and years of studying diet and nutrition as a hobby, even before I was diagnosed with Celiac’s disease. I have had my diet reviewed by a registered dietician three times in the past four years, and in each case was told that I have a very healthy diet most of the time. That’s not to say that I never have any treats or have a bad day and overeat in front of the TV!

This past February I had bunion surgery on both feet and spent the next six weeks on the couch and another month learning to walk again. It was only three months after my surgery when I was cleared by my doctor to take up running and sport again, but in that time I put on 10 lbs and watched my body fat go from 24% to over 30%! After a summer of somewhat haphazard training my running fitness is coming back slowly but the weight is not really moving. So my first goal for the year is to lose 10 lbs and get my body fat back below 25%. In addition to the recording everything I eat and trying to smarten up my diet, I will be starting a new training plan.

More than anything else, it is a relaxed and healthy attitude towards food that I want to share with you. See you October second.

No comments:

Post a Comment