Monday 7 November 2011

The Power of Tea

One of the tools I use to help both my weight loss and recovery from my workouts is tea. Teas give you a flavourful drink with no calories, which means you can have as much as you want. Many people trying to lose weight don’t take into account (or vastly underestimate) the calories they get from the juices, blended coffee drinks, sodas and alcohol they drink on a daily basis. I would rather eat my calories so I try to stick to teas, especially during the day when I am working.

My first cup of the day is a large black tea. Pretty much all teas contain antioxidants, substances that help clean up the free radical damage caused by exercise, sunlight and general ageing. Black tea also contains tannins, the same compounds found in red wine, which help to protect against heart disease, and quercetin, a substance that can help to stop viruses from replicating in the body. In other words, it helps your body to fight off colds and infection. Unfortunately, adding milk to black tea significantly reduces its antioxidant capacity, so even though I prefer my tea with milk and sugar, I’ve switched to plain black tea.  

My next cup of the morning is usually an herbal fruit tea, often a Raspberry and Echinacea tea. Echinacea has been shown to help prevent colds and reduce the severity of symptoms if you do get a cold. I’m not quite paranoid enough to buy Echinacea pills, but I’m not averse to having it as part of my normal herbal fruit tea when I can buy it at the supermarket for the same price.

After lunch I try to have a cup of green tea, which has just enough caffeine to combat the afternoon slump. Green tea is the latest thing in weight loss as it contains a compound that reacts with caffeine to boost fat burning and resting metabolism by 20%. It also contains catechins, antioxidants which help ward off heart disease and cancer, and they can reduce the muscle damage caused by exercise and speed up your recovery. So I try to have at least one cup of green tea per day.

I like to think of tea as cheap, calorie free health insurance!

The Score:
Calories:
Protein:
Carbs:
Fat:
Alcohol:
Fibre:
1760.09
96.16g
222.52g
52.56g
0
23.84g
22%
51%
27%

Calories burned through exercise:
Rest Day


What I ate:
Time
Item
Amount
09:30
Vitamins - Centrum Advance A to Zinc, 400iu of Vitamin E, 1000iu Vitamin D3 and 500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 each
Cold water
200mL
Whole Scrambled egg with 2 egg whites
3 eggs
Heinz Beanz, reduced sugar and salt
175g
Mushrooms
110g
in butter
5g
Raw tomato
85g
Sainsbury's orange, mango and passionfruit juice
200mL
11:00
Black Tea
500mL
12:15
Raspberry and Echinacea tea
250mL
13:00
DS frozen gluten free Mozzarella and tomato deep pan pizza
1/2 pizza
with Sainsbury's Be Good to Yourself thick cut ham slices
34g
and Dole pineapple slices in juice
46g
Autumn Slaw (Leon's Recipe book)
100g
Alpro Soya Original
200mL
15:00
Green Tea
250mL
16:30
Seedless Red Grapes
100g
Brazil nuts
6g
Cashews
17g
Lindt Excellence 70% cocoa dark chocolate
20g
19:45
Sainsbury's light sweet & sour cooking sauce with chicken and extra vegetables
316g
on long grain and wild rice
50g (dry)
21:30
Ellactiva Chocolate Calcium Chew
1 chew
500mg Glucosamine sulphate
1 pill

Plus 500 to 1500mL of cold water sipped from a water bottle throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment